Well, things aren't definite yet, but we are exploring the possibility of returning to Haiti. We would arrive with a work team on March 2 and would leave with a medical team on March 23. The work team is mostly from Latty, OH and will be working on the Klopfenstein house. Rudy and I would spend the second two weeks continuing to help with the Luginbuhl and the Klopfenstein house. Daryl said that he could still use some extra hands if anyone feels moved to travel with the work team March 2 - March 9.
This week has been a busy one, but I am not quite sure what we did :-) Shuffle and Bocci ball as well as a Mexican themed meal at Harold and Carole's on Thursday night. Actually, I didn't play Bocci. On my way over on my bike, I started talking with Burney Fournier (a cardiac radiologist from Montreal). He was asking about Haiti and shared that he and his wife spent four years in the Congo. He was teaching/training at a University and she taught school. It was so interesting to compare our experiences (though he had more to share, having been there 4 years compared to our one week). In addition to the experience itself, it has been wonderful to get to know different people through our trip. Some have been to Haiti, others to another third world county, and yet another used to volunteer at Agape flights (sends the materials to the missionaries).
Rudy has been to Agape a couple of times since we have been back. On Wednesday mornings, they have a small worship time. He has sat in with them and he often repeats the one of the sayings he heard, "In America, we get all we can, can all we get, and then sit on the can".
One question/comment, we have heard time and again since we have returned from Haiti is concerning whether the Haitians are lazy. I will say that they have learned to ask white people for things and they are not driven (in the general sense of the word), but I don't think I could say they are lazy. I felt that they were a clean people (beyond PAP) - not an easy task without running water. The cement for the building for the hydro plant was carried down by Haitians in 5 gallon buckets (50 going down and 50 going up). One man is said to have made the trip 32 times - barefoot. this is not an American tall tale. They had a pully system rigged up, but the Haitians could carry it faster. After the earthquake, one man arrived in a wheelbarrow with a shattered leg; he had been pushed the 125 miles from PAP. No the Haitians don't seem to be driven to get ahead - they are more concerned with survival. And quite frankly, with years of a corrupt government, this has probably been a realistic goal. Who knows, if I spend more time there, I may have a different impression.
I was talking with Karen Indermuhle today at church and she shared that her father, traveling to India often, feels overwhelmed with the need and wonders if he is making any difference. I forgot who said the following comment to him, but I really like it: "Are you asked to feed ALL the birds in your backyard or just the ones who come to your bird feeder?" No, we can't fix all the ills of the world, but we can put out an invitation and feed the ones who come.
Changing subjects....we have not been to the beach much. they have had problems with the red tide this year. It is the growth of a red algae, which can cause respiratory problems and can even kill the marine life. I have heard of it in other areas, but this is the first year that we have had it at Nokomis Beach. Guess it is the worst it has been in a number of years. It is fine. We find enough to keep us busy :-)
Hope all is well with each of you!
No comments:
Post a Comment