Monday, January 21, 2013

Last haiti pictures

Well, I think I have posted the bulk of my pictures.  I am anxious to see what the others were able to capture. For example, we went to the market in Cayes, but Sheila (runs the guest house) advised us that if we were going to take pictures, we should 'shoot from the hip'.  I decided that I didn't want the added stress.  It was chaotic enough as it was.  We were only about half way through and Susie and I both said that we had enough!  Brian was brave and recorded it as we walked through.  I do not have many pictures in the hospital...just didn't feel comfortable taking people's picture.  A lot of the ones in the surgery ward were there due to motorcycle or machetee accidents.

Rudy and I ran some errands this morning.  It was so "strange" do be driving down the road divided by lanes!  And where was the constant blaring of horns???  Oh, and to take a warm shower yesterday - what a treat!!!  We didn't have one for a whole week, and yes, the water was very cold.  But then, hey, we had running water.  Many of the roofing teams that go out from Cayes into the villages don't have running water and they definitely do not have the comfy guest house that we enjoyed with its safe drinking water and cleanly prepared meals.  We had it pretty good! 

I included some pictures of the compound in Cayes - the multi story building that Tim and Joan Reinhardt designed has their home and three aparments.  The bulk of the concrete for the buidling was mixed by hand.  the new building being constructed is a storage building for the roofing materials.  MEBSH (missionary evangelist baptist church of south haiti) churches or schools have to have their walls completed and they the can apply to receive the roof.  Gary Tonner (in our group) had been on one of their trips where they had to hike two hours with all of the materials to get to the building.  Joan said they have one waiting that will be a 6 hour hike!!  Tim does NOT think he will use an American team for that one :-)

The hike to the hydro plant (generates the electricity for the hospital compound) was an enjoyable experience, but it was a bit treacherous - steep and a lot of loose rock.  We did take a dip under the powerful runoff water fall.  I didn't get a picture of it, but I know that others did.  Once again, can't wait to share!  the children at the top of the hill were just darling!  The little girl with the big eyes ran after our truck for quite a while when we left - so precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment