As I went to look in the mailbox yesterday, Julie (of Tony and Julie who live on our street here in Florida) pedaled by on her three wheel bicycle. Her comment, "No checks in the mail yet" left me a bit puzzled at first, and then I realized that it was January 2. I live in a retirement village, thus the first business day of the month is an important day. One thing about living here is that my mind (and compassion) has been opened up to a whole new world. Five years ago, other than owning a Roth IRA, retirement living really wasn't something that I thought about too much. We think it is going to be this glorious time in our lives where everything is "relaxed and easy". People here are happy, but they still have struggles. Life on this earth never stops being just what it is - life on this earth. Each chapter has different high points and low points. We can spend so much time yearning for something "better" that we often miss the joys that are all around us. Simple things that we just take for granted.
New year's day, we took our bikes for a spin on the Legacy trail. It felt so good to be out, but wow, we both have some work to do to get back into bike riding shape! Thankfully, it is an exercise that my ankle (still causing me trouble from a twist the day before Thanksgiving) tolerates well. For lunch, we had fresh salmon, rice and vegetables. Not exactly pork and sauerkraut, but we did have that New year's eve. One of the guests at Joanne's commented that she had never heard of the pork, sauerkraut, mashed potato combination. Another guest (also of German heritage) responded that it was very German. Oh, to be reminded once again that there is a much bigger world out there than our limited view!
Yesterday, we went to the Sarasota Health Department to receive our second hepatitis A/B shot for our upcoming trip to Haiti. Since we were up on Fruitville road, we stopped in at the Oakwood Manor park to see the Tieche family. We had a wonderful visit with Peggy (only one home until shortly before we left). We then stopped at Detwiler's (the local Country Hilltop Market) and headed home. The afternoon was spent being lazy - Rudy watched a History Channel DVD and I read a book.
PS the pictures that I posted are from the last four years - gives you and idea of our beach, the jetty, and a little bit of our place. I will take some more around the park, bike trail, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment