What does one do when it is cold in Florida? We have definitely been having a few cooler days - tomorrow is supposed to be mid 50s. Yesterday, we went on some errands - very casually...so relaxing. We went to the Dome flea market for some reading glasses and socks for Rudy. We also stopped at Wal-mart for some T-shirts for Rudy and some black shoe polish...for Rudy....are you sensing a trend :-) Don't worry, he did buy me some half price Valentine's candy!!! Oh, and I shouldn't forget to mention that he also wanted to stop and buy a different "foot" for our sewing machine. (He wanted to try to make one of his engineer caps) We had a great time just strolling along without any pressure to hurry.
In Wal-Mart, there was a dear older gentleman in a wheel chair kind of stuck on a seam in the floor. We helped to wheel him over to the motorized carts and got him set up in one that was charged up. You could just tell that he was so thankful and it felt so good to be able to help him. I know that people can often joke about the abundance of elderly in Florida. I have to say that my eyes have really been opened to a whole new world. The people I am around on a daily basis have so much spark - it just can really amaze me at times. At exercise in the morning, there are ladies in their late 80s. There is a lady at church you still goes to water aerobics each morning and she is 90. One of the gentlemen that shuffles is in his mid 90s. The gentleman in Wal-mart had trouble moving from the wheel chair to the cart, but yet was there shopping on his own. What else was he to do? I have to admit that in the past, I didn't give much thought to the elderly, but I have gained such a high respect for them. I am sure they remember very well what they were once able to accomplish; they were not always limited in body and mind. I just hope that I am able to age as gracefully and wisely as many of the people I have been blessed to encounter. While I am living, I need to live! If I am still on God's planet, I have a purpose and He can use me if I am willing.
In addition to our shopping and finishing up the kitchen cupboards, we have read and played games. I introduced Rudy to "Angry Birds" on the tablet and showed him how to access Solitaire. We also played a few games of a fun new game that Deanna sent us - Gobblet. Very fun - thank you! Rudy has been steadily reading "Great people of the Bible and how they lived" - a big book that reminds me of an encyclopedia. It was Dave Zollinger's and he gave it to Rudy when they closed up their place. He didn't show much interest in the book last year, but has been engrossed in it this year.
Verses from today's study:
Romans 12:1-2 I Beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment