The items are back in our kitchen cupboards and the hinges, doors and knobs are reattached. What a good feeling! And it looks great, but, wow, what a job! And I thought I was going to sand down and varnish the kitchen cupboards at home this year. Hmmm...may have to rethink that plan... On the other hand, it looks (and feels) so much better!
Rudy was a HUGE help during the process and I can't imagine having done it without his helping hand. It is a continued lesson in "asking" for help. I remember how difficult it was for me to move into the office at school and to learn how to work with a secretary. For years, I had honed the skill to manage my classroom on my own, manage my home on my own, etc. Then I was in a position where I had someone to work with me - someone to help me. Sounds great, right? It was an adjustment! Still working on this area in my marriage also. Rudy loves to do things together, whereas I have a tendancy to zone in on things myself. As I learn to work as a team, things do go so much more smoothly.
I would love to paint our bedroom yet this year, but time is drawing to an end. In two weeks, we return to Haiti (March 2). And shortly after we return (March 23), we will be heading home to Ohio. Having the time broken up likes this, it does make the time go much more quickly.
We continue to ride bike, shuffle, play bocci, gather for card games, and occasionally walk on the beach. The last time we went to the beach, we experienced the "red tide". Started out on our walk and everything was great - people were sitting out along the beach and a few kids in the water. We walked from Nokomis beach to the jetty. As we returned, we hit a spot of deserted beach (not even any birds) and we both started coughing and noses were burning and running. Not a good feeling. Then we passed through that spot and we were OK...hurried home and took a shower to make sure we got any pollen off us.
FYI:
A red tide bloom
is a higher-than-normal concentration of a microscopic alga (plant-like
organisms). It is important to
realize that many people still enjoy the beaches during red tides. People may experience respiratory irritation (coughing,
sneezing, and tearing) when the red tide organism is present along a coast and
winds blow its aerosol onshore.
This week, our Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet arrived. I have downloaded some books as well as a few games and have spent some time just trying to learn how to use it (the club house has wi-fi so I can explore without using up the data on my plan). I do plan to take it with us to Haiti (the guest house has wi-fi) so hopefully, I will be able to keep the blog updated. Though i have read a few blogs from there and it sounds like there have been some connection issues.
Also, the hydo plant generates their electricity and they are nearing the end of their dry season...limited water may mean limited electricity...should be interesting.... (not sure how it all works). Rudy is pumped to return; I am starting to stress over logistics - what to pack, how to pack it, arranging for rental car to Miami and hotel once we get there....oh, it will all work out fine and it will be a great experience. It is just coming up fast and it is not like we can just run to Wal-Mart if we forget something. We are both looking forward to additional time to interact with the Haitian people as well as the American families living there.
No comments:
Post a Comment