Thursday, February 7, 2013

Turtles and shark's teeth are great, but no snakes!!

Often when we are riding our bikes on the legacy trail, we encounter turtles either alongside the trail or plodding along on the trail.  On each of the last two trips, we have encountered a snake slithering across the path.  The first one was moving fairly slowly and as I screeched to a halt (along with a little scream), Rudy went zooming by me and I thought he was going to run it over!  Yesterday, it was a fast moving big black snake!  Ugh!

In the afternoon, I walked on the beach (while Rudy shuffled) and I found 3 shark's teeth.  Unusual for me.  Rudy seems to spot them with ease, but I am not always so fortunate.  The last two days, I have had a walk on the beach and it has felt wonderful!!  The red tide continues to be a problem off and on.  Fortunately, I have not gone over on a day when there are dead fish lying on the beach - yuck!

Sunday, Marvin Indermuhle stopped before church (had a conference in Orlando) and then spent the day at Sarasota church.  We had a potluck and singing in the evening.  Tuesday, we went to world relief sewing again.  Carl Graf came along; he thinks he will be busy on the next few Tuesdays (ha! ha!).  Greg Tieche brought some things to the church for the Sunday School Auction while we were there and invited us to stop by their place.  We did afterwards - surprised Peg and no Greg.  They have done a lot of work during this trip!

Today we had the Singles Tournament in Shuffling.  Rudy won his first two games and then lost a very close match.  I lost my first one, then won two and then lost to Harold Widmer.  We are both done and that is OK.  Had fun, and now we don't have to shuffle tomorrow :-)

Our latest project is the kitchen cupboards.  Rudy took all the doors off for me and removed the hinges and handles.  I have the inside of the cabinets painted and will paint the doors and the outside of the cabinets.  We will spray paint the hardware.  This is a project I have been dreading.  I DON'T like working on cabinets or closets or any other tight spaces.  But the insides look so nice and shiny and white rather than the dirty looking discolored white that they were - it does make it worth it.  Contrary to popular belief, I don't always love to paint.  I just love to have things painted, so I usually bite the bullet and dig in.

We continue to enjoy our bible study on weight management, "The Lord's Table."  It has been especially valuable to work through it after visiting an impoverished country such as Haiti.  We have so much!  Do we really focus on living for God and giving all glory to Him?  Or are we sidetracked and focused on all that is around us?  Do we truly view gluttony as a sin?  It is.  I have a long way to go to change my habits and my thought patterns.  I still have those moments while going through the grocery store when I want to buy a bag of peanut butter snickers and eat the whole bag before I get home. (and right now they are even "buy 1 get 1 free" at Publix - yikes!).  Rudy doesn't have near as much weight to loose with me, but I am so thankful that he is willing to go through the program with me.  It has been a special time of growth for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment